5 Nights / 6 Days Great Zambezi Canoe Safari
£0 per person
This safari is geared more towards the canoeing enthusiast who is looking for an added element of excitement. This is the only trip of its kind in Zambia that takes one through the entire length of the floodplains of the Lower Zambezi to the remote Mupata Gorge before ending at the confluence of the Zambezi and Luangwa Rivers.
On this safari, clients can explore the numerous back channels of the Zambezi along with spectacular basalt rock formations of the Mupata Gorge as the river winds its way towards the Indian Ocean. As these trips involve more detailed organization, they only depart on a few selected dates every year or on request for group bookings.
This trip passes through both the entire Zambian Lower Zambezi National Park on the left and the full length of the Mana pools National Park on the right ending at the Luangwa / Zambezi confluence. Optional 5hr road transfer back to Lusaka or a 1hr chartered flight out may be arranged on request. The cost of the air charter is not included in the price of this safari while the road transfer is.
During the hot summer months, early morning departures are encouraged to make the most of the cooler time and also to cover a reasonable distance before the wind may pick up. Deep shade is sought in the hottest part of the day for lunch breaks and rest. Canoeing continues to overnight stop as it becomes cooler again in the late afternoons. Four-wheel drive vehicles with trailer canoes and equipment are used for the return transfer to Lusaka at the end of the safari.
What to Bring on a Safari
- Neutral coloured shorts and T-shirts, swimming costume for summer months.
- Personal Toiletries and a .small towel.
- Canvas shoes or rafting sandals, a comfortable pair of hiking shoes where walks are involved.
- Hat with a wide brim.
- Jacket or sweater for the evenings.
- Shirts (including a long-sleeved one for sun protection).
- A kikoi (or sarong) to help protect your legs from the sun.
- Torch or flashlight and extra batteries.
- Camera and accessories. Recharging facilities at River Horse.
- Binoculars, sunglasses.
- Sunscreen, Insect repellent.
- Warm clothes to sleep in for winter nights/light waterproof clothing for the wet season.
- Personnel drinking flask for your canoe along with a dry bag for personal items if available.
- 5 nights’ accommodation.
- Canoeing safari activities.
- Traditional Village Visit.
- All meals.
- Treated water.
- Qualified guides.
- Transfers to and from the immediate safari area.
- Return Airport Lusaka Transfers (to and from Lusaka).
- National Park entry fees are to be paid directly on arrival where applicable.
Daily Meal Plan
Start with tea/coffee biscuits before setting off downstream after packing up canoes and clearing camp.
Generally, after several hours of canoeing, the trip will stop for everyone to stretch their legs while the guide prepares an English breakfast of tinned fruit; eggs, bacon, sausages etc; then toast with marmalade or jam. Tea and coffee is served before starting off again.
An assortment of cold meats, green salads, rolls and cheeses are served, along with a variety of sauces and pickled vegetables to complete the meal.